Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Welcome!

A blog. Me??

I feel a bit silly, and I may never get a single comment or follower, but I'm hooked on the idea of having a place to post my photos, recipes, and knitting tangles.
Let me introduce you to the gang.
First, there's Bosewichte.

You'll frequently see him in this position.

Then, we have Clarence, the neighborhood scamp.



Of course, I can't forget my husband. Yes, his hat has horns.

A little bit on what I'm working on now. I've been knitting for a year and a half or so, and I love it. I don't know any other knitters locally, so I mainly rely on Ravelry for help with my many questions. My many, many questions! Right now I'm working on a pattern from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. It's such a cool book. I'm knitting knee socks from 1900 (!!) called "Evening Stocking For a Young Lady." The title is evocative of a late winter evening in, perhaps, London...a gaggle of girls, just in their teens, huddle beneath a lamp post on the street outside of the theatre, waiting for stragglers. Laughter pierces the frosty air. They feel very sophisticated in their going-out finery, and I pretend these socks are peeking out from their newly-blackened boots:
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

In the kitchen, I'm embarking on some new adventures. Despite my current status as a Weight Watchers dropout, I persist in my efforts to make the perfect loaf of bread. I decided to try to make my own sourdough starter. A little water, a little flour, and let it ferment, right? Easier said than done. After several soupy, smelly failures, I broke down and ordered Carl's Sourdough Starter. I highly recommend it. It's a great story (a time traveler from the mid-1800s? SOLD!), and it's free. It's win-win! I ordered it, bought some organic white flour, used an equal portion of filtered water, and it's bubbling away!


Twice a day I pour out half and add 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour. After 8 days, you can use it to make a sourdough loaf. You've gotta love science!

Some exciting things are happening in the garden, too. Zinnias!


I'm in love with cottage gardens, so I always plant zinnias, cosmos, snapdragons, hollyhocks, sunflowers, and marigolds. We've had an unusually chilly and wet spring, though, so fingers crossed that my seeds will germinate. I'm not complaining, though. Lots of rain gives me permission to take gratuitous water-droplet photos...one of my favorite kinds.


I'll sign off now, but hopefully I'll have something interesting to post soon.

1 comment:

  1. every time I get attracted to a knitted something, it turns out to be yours. I also garden, bake bread and lots of other treats, so I'm enjoying your blog. you are a waaay
    more capable knitter than me, but I have hopes and dreams and love to knit.

    ReplyDelete