Monday, March 2, 2015

In Like a Lamb...

It's 58 degrees today, and there's something distinctly springlike in the air.  Outside, bulbs are sprouting all over the yard.


Even the weeds are greening up!  This accursed ground weed that I fear will never be eradicated...


...and is this not the biggest thistle you've ever seen?  It's huge, maybe two feet across!


 The Helleborus have been up for a while...the white ones a little worse for wear because of the ice, but the pink varieties still vibrant.


I was absolutely delighted to lean in and hear a familiar sound.  The bees are back and gathering pollen!  I hunkered down to watch for a few minutes.  They were very aware of my presence, and somewhat cranky about it, but I was able to get a few shots.


Look at those pollen packets!


I've been enjoying the increased presence of birds lately, too, and have captured a few of my favorites.  The Eastern Towhee, with the most beautiful song...


 The Carolina Wren:


A Thrush:


Mockingbird:


Many Cardinals:


Goldfinches, too, who lose their color a bit in the winter:


Even the shy grey squirrels are suddenly everywhere, but mainly at our feeders.


They are even bold enough to chide me for interrupting...from a safe distance, of course!


Hope you're seeing a little bit of spring, too.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment