Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Sugar, Pumpkin Spice, & Everything Nice

Pumpkin shortage?  What pumpkin shortage?


Every time I go to Target, I buy another can.  I can't risk running out, because I continue to make the delicious crustless pumpkin pie from the last blog post at least twice a week.  It's a pretty guilt-free indulgence.


I recently made white chocolate-dipped pumpkin spice truffles, too.  It was easy enough to make and roll the truffles...


...but encasing them in white chocolate was another story.  I used a fork instead of an official candy-dipping tool, and it was hard to cover up the fork marks on the sides and bottom.  Maybe my white chocolate wasn't quite the right consistency, because it spread quite a bit.


However, after adding a graham cracker garnish, peeling off the excess white chocolate, and placing them in little ruffled wrappers...


...they looked pretty good!  The taste was good, too.  Very mild, lightly spiced pumpkin flavor, with classic white chocolate.  The recipe is here if you want to try it. 

I've been knitting quite a bit.  This half-finished hat looks enormous (penny next to it for scale), but it's meant to be slouchy.  I'll post pictures when I finish.  I wanted to work outside of my comfort zone a bit.  I don't usually wear pink, and don't like to knit seed stitch.  This has has been a pretty enjoyable knit, though!


Despite the fact that I've been absolutely swamped with work every single day, and baking, AND knitting (in my spare time at night), I've taken on a quilting class that meets for 90 minutes a week.  I bought my fabric...


...packed my machine...


...and am trying to overcome my aversion to math and precise measurements!  Hopefully I'll do better than this week's project, a crazy quilt square.

All of this baking and crafting feels very cozy as our weather cools and the days get shorter.  The temperature usually rises to the mid-70s by late afternoon, with chilly mornings and nights.  The cats are seeking out warm places to cuddle up...


...usually on the sun porch.


Slowly, the leaves are starting to change.  Right now it's mainly yellow, but looks so nice.


We see our turkeys more frequently now.


Deer, too, are everywhere.  Check out those antlers!


Since it's only 2 weeks away, I've started my Halloween prep.


I have an overwhelming amount of Halloween craft supplies.  Rubber and acrylic stamps, stickers, inches-thick stacks of craft paper, ribbon, paper cutters, embellishments, etc., etc.  I started to pull everything out to inspire me, but it was just too much stuff.  I need to find a better way to organize.  Here's just a fraction of what I pulled:


I've pulled together a theme and am going to start baking next weekend!  Hooray!

Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment