Monday, January 1, 2018

The Big Chill

Happy New Year!  Todd and I celebrated by putting on our pajamas early, hashing out resolutions together, and sharing olie bollen - one of our new traditions.  It's Dutch for oil sphere - think tiny, fancy donut holes.  I first read the sanitized version of the tradition: The round shape symbolizes the end of one year and the lucky beginning of another.  The real tradition, though, is much more interesting. Perchta, an evil goddess, would fly with her evil-demon posse to collect tributes of deep-fried dough (my kind of tribute!) from Germanic tribes.  Perchta had a penchant for slitting open human bellies, but those who proffered olie bollen were saved...the fat in the olie bollen was greasy and caused her sword to slip, which saved their lives.  I certainly don't need the specter of a sword-wielding demon goddess as an incentive to make donut holes.  Still, I was disinclined to fry, so instead made four small round sweet cakes in my mini pie pan.  They were delicious!

Winter has really set in here now.  No snow, but with temperatures dipping into the twenties or even the teens at night, it finally feels like a new season.  I love the cold.  In the early mornings, I open the french doors to feed Clotilde, and the cold air hits me.  It's so delicious and fresh.  I love my quilts, hot water bottles, knitting, flannel and fleece pajamas, cozy hoodies, warm gloves, hats, wool socks.  I love bundling up for chilly walks, like the one we took yesterday.  I have to grab this season while I can.  Already I see very early signs of spring, and know that we will probably start warming up again in 4 - 6 short weeks.

Some early spring bulbs are already coming up!


Early-blooming magnolias are already budding!


And more...


The paper bush shrubs have their flower heads already, and the branches are growing and splitting.  They'll be blooming in a few weeks.


Of course, camellias are blooming everywhere, dropping petals and flower heads in a very pleasant way.


At least lots of plants are in their "hibernation" phases.  I love seeing those dried leftovers, too.





And, of course, winter berries.


We have our usual suspects for this time of year...roving flocks of cedar waxwings!



Some of our old friends were just congregating outside of my office window...bluebirds, cardinals, chickadees, and so many phoebes!


It's always a pleasure to see them...and plentiful evidence of beaver activity, too.



Todd and I are going to get as much outdoor time as possible before the dreaded summer heat returns!


(Borga too!)

I've been doing some various textile work - a cross stitch winter scene, and making long, even lines on my sampler quilt.


Meanwhile, the Christmas decorations have come down and I'm looking forward to a chilly and peaceful January.  I've got my usual set of resolutions, more gentle and forgiving than my usual:  LOSE 'X' AMOUNT OF POUNDS!  OUTLINE THE WHOLE BIBLE!  LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE!  I'm focusing more on small, attainable goals that will help me to become a better person.  Todd and I anticipate making a great deal of changes in 2018, so I'm more focused on:  breathe, relax, focus on each day as it comes.  A few years ago, I made a 'vision board' that is very applicable to my 2018 goals.


Health.  Home.  Creativity.  Animals.  Textile work.  Self-expression.  Outside, outside, outside.

Here's to a happy and productive 2018! 

No comments:

Post a Comment