Monday, April 22, 2019

Larsson Fun

ONE WEEK 'TIL CLOSING!! 


We stopped by last week and even in the rain, with just a cursory walk around the front yard, I spotted a little treasure:  a red-wing blackbird nest among the cattails!


I am really eager to relocate.  Because of the delayed closing, I've had plenty of time to obsess over interior design details and plot out massive front gardens.  I've added an extra window, a kitchen island, and a fireplace, all in my mind.  I've torn out carpet, switched out the front door, and slapped on even more wallpaper.  Having exhausted the interior, I've gone outside and uprooted tree stumps, enlarged existing beds, and moved evergreen shrubs around like chess pieces.  If I can't start to act out these plans soon, I'm going to lose my mind!

One positive thing about the delay is my paint epiphany.  After endless agonizing over how to have light and cheerful paint colors in a dim house and finally selecting - a bit uneasily - a light grey, I've ended up tossing out my entire scheme and starting over.  I've been inspired by Carl Larsson's depictions of 19th century Swedish country life for a long time...



...and one near-constant is pale walls and painted trim.  A stroke of genius!  I did some looking around and found other inspiring examples...





...and so I'm going for it, using Benjamin Moore's Swiss Coffee for the walls...


...and Saybrook Sage for the trim.  Here's that color in exactly the same style I'm copying.


Wanting to start these massive projects has made waiting really difficult.  Even so, it's hard to believe that our relocation is just around the corner.  "This is our last trip to the laundromat!!" I crowed to Todd yesterday.  It's even strayed into the ridiculous, as I contemplated a package at the grocery store and told myself, "This is the LAST package of feta you'll eat at the apartment!  This feta will be GONE by moving day!"  Insert eye roll here!

Exercise has been a huge help in working out some of my excess energy.  I was so jittery yesterday that I convinced Todd to take a quick hike with me, despite our massive to-do list.  It was so nice to get out into the sunshine.  Trees are leafing!




And flowers!!





It's hard to be out of our regular spring hiking schedule, but I know that we'll have plenty of outdoor time soon.  Meanwhile, I'll keep on plotting.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment