Monday, September 2, 2019

fight bite

Apparently the horse flies here weren't satisfied with just harassing the local deer.  I was bitten this week, and it left quite a welt.

Horse flies are interesting, though.  Like mosquitoes, only the females seek out protein-rich human blood to assist with their egg production.  They have a virtual Swiss knife-like arsenal at their disposal:  a series of cutting and slicing tools descend when they're ready to feed.  They don't exactly "bite," but slash cuts in their victims, causing blood flow that can be sponged up with that dark folded part that you see in the picture below.


They are actually able to use muscles to saw the wound more fully open!  I think my jeans protected me from a larger wound, but it still hurt.  Horse flies (often spoken of as 'gadflies') have been mentioned in literature going all the way back to ancient Greece, where Zeus' mistress was driven to madness by a gadfly sent from Hera, his wife.  Other literary references, including Shakespeare, emphasize victims being similarly afflicted by these painful pests.  This is my first experience with them here and hopefully the last!

The remainder of the photos today are courtesy of my iPhone.  It's just easier to carry when I'm working outside with my usual feline company...


...or am startled by a gone-in-a-minute visitor, like this heron at our pond...


...or our newest visitor, Leonidas!  For weeks we've been calling this elusive guy "the fox-eared kitten," but he never stayed around long enough for a good look.  He's very thin, and I've finally been able to coax him onto the porch for kibble.  He's decidedly more leonine than fox-like, hence Leonidas.  He is incredibly sweet...and too skittish for me to run inside for the good camera.


This week my efforts were rewarded with a rough purr and a head-butt...yay!  We're already planning some warm "kitten condos" for the upcoming winter.

Also in preparation for cooler weather, I've been working on - and in - my craft room.  I have two rooms upstairs: one for office work, puzzles, and books; and the other for fiber and paper crafting.
In the fiber room, one wall is lined with KALLAXes...


...and the other wall has my cutting table, knitting supplies, and some of my paper crafting stuff.  Lots of empty space since most of my non-quilting supplies are still in storage.


Sewing machine and table is at the end of the room, under the window.  I'll be moving some things around...maybe the cutting table in the middle of the room?...but so far I'm liking the arrangement.


I sewed some scrappy chair covers for my rolling chair, but couldn't figure out how to tidily attach them.


I took them off and quilted them with some batting scraps.  I'm going to make cushions with fabric ties instead...I think it will be much neater and easier.  Hopefully I can find some this week!

I also finished a couple of puzzles...I love my puzzle station and it makes it SO much easier to knock them out.



The cats have been enjoying my office space, too...



...maybe a little TOO much!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment