Monday, April 20, 2020

horsin' around

It's nesting season!  This female red-winged blackbird hovered anxiously as I strolled around the front pond.


The males were preening and posturing.  I'm seeing a lot of fanned tails and flashes of red these days!




A pair of wood ducks visited the pond this morning, too.  I love how beautiful they are!



Springtime robins...


...nuthatches...


grackles...


...and my favorite, the eastern towhee...



...are congregating.  Hooray!  Trees are leafing out nicely...




...and we're all feeling good with the warmer weather.


Every time I can get away, I'm in the garden. I just completed an unplanned project.  A friend gave me a handful of sedum last year.  Sedum is amazing.  Sun, shade, dry, wet...sedum doesn't care.  It will grow and spread like crazy, and it's easy to pull it out by the handful if it's crowding another plant.  I planted patches of it all over the garden last year and love the way it looks.




I thinned it out, but hated to throw away the viable plants.  I decided to use them to line the walking path in the new garden.  Sedum is so easy that it doesn't need any special care to root.  Cover the tip in soil and it will quickly generate roots.



It looks pretty rough now, but it will be a lovely thick green carpet next year!  I also dug  up some of these mystery plants that I am nearly certain are obedient plants.  They have a wicked runner system for roots.


I replanted them in the two new side gardens.


I guess we'll see what comes up in 6 - 8 weeks!

It's been chilly, but it's finally getting warmer, and there's a lot of beauty around here to enjoy.  We've had amazing sunrises...


...happy birthdays...


...and daily horse visitors.


Throw in the occasional groundhog, and it's been a pretty good season!


Even the cats are getting into the feel-good days of spring.


Have a nice week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment