Monday, August 24, 2020

cat bath fever

We're right in the middle of a pretty rough heat wave...temperatures in the 90s, no rain for over a week.  I'm hoping that it's SLG, or "summer's last gasp," because I see a definitely cool-down ahead as we slip into September.  Somehow, though, despite complete neglect and spotty watering, the garden seems to be thriving.

Cosmos are still opening up, and all sorts of new varieties, too.


More beauties:





It's wild and exuberant, and I love it.



Veggies are thriving...



...and the garden is feeding others, too.



I'm still filling the house with flowers...


...as Claudia allows.  When I go outside, she wants attention.  More than anything, she wants into my lap...and her claws are SHARP.


She's still bringing home the bacon (this bird survived somehow!)...


...and I'm seeing other wildlife, but sometimes just a quick shot through my upstairs office window, because it's too hot for outdoors exploring right now.


Projects are finally getting finished inside.  The fireplace that I'd conceived the first week we moved in has finally been built.   


It's a simple wooden column built around our gas fireplace.  Those doors hide our T.V. and annoying wires.  A basic oak mantle was built to complete it.


I just can't stress how much of an improvement this is.  The hardware color matches the living room wall sconce on the right, and the handles are identical to our kitchen handles, just in a different color.  It's very cohesive.  I really struggled with this house when we contemplated buying it, because it was so bland.  We liked the location, the acreage, the long front porch, and the way the house was laid out spatially, but it was a basic box. It's these finishing touches that make it feel like it's finally taking on some personality.  It's simple, but this fireplace just anchors the room, and despite the fact that we added something big to an already-crowded small living room, the clean lines and simplicity actually make it seem less cluttered.  Too hard to tell from this cell phone picture, but it works.


I'm very pleased!  In other news, lots of baking this week.  Brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts...



...and cinnamon rolls.



I haven't baked in a while, so it felt good to get some flour on my hands.  

We did have some kitten drama this week.  Somehow Tabitha got tangled up in the sticky fly paper column that I'd set out for the fungal gnats.  Glue.  Cat fur.  Mess.


She suffered through a warm bath and an oil rubdown, but nothing worked.  In the end, I had to pull out the scissors.


I'm sure it will grow back soon.  Bosewichte watched the proceedings from a safe distance...


Thankfully everyone has recovered from the trauma.


Hopefully the next few days will be a little more peaceful.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment