Monday, September 21, 2020

(my) space invaders

Although some flowers seem to be prospering despite bone-dry conditions...


...we seem to be sliding inexorably toward fall.  More leaves are being tipped in color...



I'm seeing acorns again!


Fall berries are bright in the shadows.


The deer have stepped up their pre-winter caloric intake, making short work of my cantaloupe.


Although they've been eating the leaves from my massive pumpkin vines...


...they've been leaving the pumpkins alone.  Hooray!


I've been getting a nice ornamental gourd harvest, too!


Butterflies are seeming more frenetic than ever, trying to get the last bit of nutrition before laying eggs.



Reluctantly, I've mostly stopped picking flowers for bouquets.  They might not regenerate in time to set seed, and I want to collect as much seed as possible.  I'm drying flower heads all over my craft room.


A large "harvest" is not a given, because the goldfinches have redoubled their efforts, ripping even premature green seeds from dying flowers.


They are fearless!  Like in some gothic novel, they rise in clouds when disturbed, but wait patiently on nearby trees for the intruder to walk by.  They're back at their serious work in minutes.


I can't have them destroying my entire "crop," so I'm out with the organza bags, covering select flowers and hoping that the goldfinches will be satiated soon.  

I'm keeping an eye on another potential invader...my morning glories are starting to set up seed.


I have to keep a close watch and deadhead most, while allowing one section to ripen.  They're so beautiful that I want to be sure to have more for next year!

Abandoned spiderwebs...


...weedy seeds...


...and delightfully atmospheric fog...


...it's sure starting to feel like fall to me.  

Have a great week!







No comments:

Post a Comment