Monday, May 10, 2021

frost bossed

We're two weeks from June, and still wearing our hoodies outside.  Days are cool, and nights are downright cold.  Thirty four degrees when I woke up today, and a frost.

Frost encrusting the mulch...

...and the tender leaves of my seedlings, waiting to go in the ground.

I took this photo from my office window upstairs...you can see the silvery sheen of frost on the grass.

There was even ice in my wheelbarrow!


My seedlings are positively overflowing their containers indoors, waiting to get into the ground.  It's so unseasonably cold that I don't dare put them out yet.



Still, this cool weather is pleasant to work in.  I've got the main cutting garden completely planted, except for a square and a partial row near the middle that I'm saving for warmer weather plants.  Everything is so tiny and stressed from the cold weather, so I have no idea if they will grow...





At least there are some promising signs.  My poppies look amazing and are starting to send up stalks!  I planted hundreds - no joke! - so I'm eager to see how they do in this climate.



My perennial beds, too, have taken off.  They are loving this protracted spring!





Last year's stubby peonies are over 3 feet tall this year and loaded with buds.  I can't wait for this amazing bloom!


My favorite area is probably the new garden that I built in the side yard.  SO GREEN AND LUSH.  Todd worked there today, sinking concrete blocks into the soil to support a cedar arbor bench that we bought last year and never got around to putting up.


My pink climbing rose is budding for the first time this year.  It's covered in thorns, so I carefully tied it to the bench.  I'm planning on planting a white flowering vine on the other side.  I think that it will be so gorgeous!



Hopefully just a couple more weeks of planting and then...ahhhhh!  Meanwhile, I'm enjoying working outside in the frosty mornings...although a little bit of heat would be appreciated...especially by my poor plants.


Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment