Monday, October 4, 2021

red snake keepsake

It seems like we've got a lot of creatures here who are "making hay while the sun shines."  Grasshoppers are still whirring in the undergrowth or crouching motionless, torpid in the hot sun.


It's a great comfort when I consider the tangled mess that I've cultivated out back, knowing that at least I've created a massive food source for so many little creatures.




My little jungle is still producing pumpkins...


...and amazingly, dahlias...although I didn't prune, stake, or feed them.


The dinnerplate dahlias have collapsed under the weight of their massive heads, but they can still be salvaged.


The smaller dahlias have such a tight, tidy petal formation.  It's very appealing!


So lovely!


In the dark of the early morning, I hear barred owls calling, "Who cooks for you?  Who cooks for yooouuu?"  A few hours into daylight, the turkeys add their chorus.  Our back field is a popular hang-out spot, and we've also noticed them on a side slope.  We counted close to 40 turkeys - in one day! - last week.



After a summer of silence, we've started hearing coyotes yowling at night. Yes, the season is marching on!  Sunrises are suddenly more saturated with color...


...and the deepening reds of our apples is a reminder that we should pick, pick, pick before it's too late.



I'm bringing the season inside, with little touches like tiny felt pumpkins...


...and wreaths made from my garden flowers, dried.


We are starting to see a bit more color in the leaves, although the weather isn't really cooperating (still in the 80s this week).  It is really starting to feel like fall, and I'm contemplating several cold-weather projects, like this brilliant embroidery piece by artist Yumiko Higuchi.

photo courtesy of Yumiko Higuchi

Todd and I are both looking forward to a peaceful and productive October.

Have a great week!






No comments:

Post a Comment