Monday, December 6, 2021

Pumpkin "Ail"

Whiplash weather...last night close to 64, tonight down to 18 degrees!  Our muskrats are taking advantage of warmer days to haul extra cattails to their winter home.




My perennials are confused.  Is it time to bloom again, already?!?!



At least I'm still able to bring in more mini bouquets!


It will be an interesting contrast with the Christmas tree and decor that will be going up today (better late than never!).  I've already got Todd's advent calendar installed in the front secretary.  I love the color pop from the bags!


All Christmas knitting is done...woo hoo!  I also managed to finish a sweater (Pumpkin Ale) for my sister's 11/30 birthday.  It's a clever but complicated design from Scottish textile designer Ysolda Teague.


Three-quarter length sleeves, cabled arms, and the sides of the sweater grow out of a long cabled back pattern.


I like the cabled back and the wide garter stitch front panels, but oh, those shoulders!  The sleeves are set-in, meaning that you pick up stitches at the top of the armhole and knit back and forth, wrapping each end stitch so as not to leave a hole.  Gradually the cap of the sleeve is formed and the arm grows out, but I made mistake after mistake and even though THE ENTIRE SWEATER (with the exception of the arms) was completed, I had to pep-talk myself into not frogging the whole thing.  I had wanted to knit one for myself, but I need a long, long break from Pumpkin Ale! :)  


In dire need of a mini-excursion this week, Todd and I visited the rare manuscript rooms at Indiana University's Lily Library.  

The original draft of Ben Hur!


Peter Pan!


Gorgeous illustrations of diseases that you definitely don't want...


...pamphlets (1830s) that you only view IF YOU DARE (the parish Reverend does!)...


...impossibly tiny books...


...and heartbreakingly beautiful designs.  This was my favorite, from 11th century England.


I've been to Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland, where I saw many other examples of these illustrated manuscripts.  I can't get enough of them.  

A Latin sacrament page from from 12th c. France

Seeing their work really inspires me to get back to my embroidery...

An embroidered book cover, about 3" x 2", depicting Mary, Queen of Scots

...once the holidays are over and I have time to breathe again. Embroidered book covers are still being done today and are just as inspiring!  Courtesy of textile artist Jillian Tamaki...



...and Chloe Giardano...to name a few!


I would love to embroider a cover for one of my favorite children's books - The Secret Garden - but I haven't found the right illustration yet.  

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment