Monday, April 15, 2024

turtle power

Last week we had frost.  Today, it was 93 degrees.  In a few days, it will be back in the 30s overnight.  It can be challenging!  But the cats love the sun.


And I love the sun coming over the hill, which I can see every morning from our living room.  It's even more beautiful now that the leaves are coming in!


The rain...


...has brought out the flowers.

grackle in apple tree

prairie trillium

Japanese anemones

peonies, daylilies, euphorbia

hostas, columbine, lily of the valley

I make up small bouquets with the "nibs and bibbets" in the yard...whatever small flowers and greenery that I can find.  I take this conglomeration and break it into small bouquets that I put in various cat-friendly places around the house.


Claudia is by my side when I pick.


Turtles are moving in the front pond...


...and those April showers brought the flowers, which in turn brought the butterflies!!  So many!


both eastern tiger swallowtails

pipevine swallowtail

black eastern tiger swallowtail

Because of our weather and my sore shoulder, I am woefully behind in the garden.  I've tried to put in a couple hours a day, pulling weeds and prepping beds.  With some company...

chestnut slug

The back annual garden is an absolute disgrace.  None of last year's stalks have been pulled out of the ground, and it's not even close to ready for May's flowers.  I just have to work a bit at a time, when I can.


It's slow going, but I guess I don't mind if things are a little bit late this year.  It's nice to just be outside, watching the bluebirds dart in and out of the birdhouses that Todd just installed...


...and the maple leaves unfurling right in front of my eyes.


The trail cams are yielding more in warmer weather, too.  A happy couple!


I love watching the deer come up out of the woods in our back pond, too.


Although we're wilting from the heat in the moment, we're still loving this most active of seasons.  Hooray for spring!!

Trees all greening up behind the white barn!

Have a great week!












No comments:

Post a Comment