Monday, September 14, 2026

apples to apples

 More hazy mornings...

...and days that can vary as much as 25 degrees from one day to the next.  That's early fall in Indiana!  The berries are starting to take on a slight blush...


...and at last, it's apple-picking time.



We got a fair amount this year...


...maybe around 20 pounds.  Enough for a pie and a couple months of baked oatmeal breakfasts.  I've been processing just under 5 pounds per day.


We didn't even try to get the apples at the top of the tree!  They are for the birds, and later they'll fall and feed the wild animals here.  Bees love them too!

I've been putting away summer clothes and pulling out warmer things (it was 58 this morning and I wore long sleeves and jeans.  Tomorrow it will be 95!).  The Barnacle has been a huge help.



This is a great time of year for walking...



Pepita loves the fresh air...


...almost as much as she loves doing nothing.  ;)



Even though it's September, there are still plenty of flowers in the garden, and plenty of butterflies on those flowers.

zebra tiger swallowtail

silver-spotted skipper

Plenty of cool mushrooms too, even though it's been fairly dry.

velvet-top fungus

berkeley's polyphore

false caesar's mushroom

turkeytail

golden bolete

violet-grey boletes

I've started physical therapy for a pinched spinal nerve and it's progressing well.  I'm juggling medications to help deal with the hormonal migraines I've been plagued with over the past 6 weeks...and I'm hopeful that I'll be ready to join the land of the living again soon!  Although Frances loves my down time...and I've become addicted to my heat pad.  I've finished three books in the past 2 weeks and it's a great silver lining.  


Looking forward to a more active October!  










No comments:

Post a Comment