Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Knittin' Kitten

Today is the first day of my favorite month.  Days are still sunny, breezy, and 75 degrees, but it dips down into the 50s at night, which I love.  Borga is suddenly keen to go outside...


...but, well, the cooler temperatures haven't seemed to make much of a difference to the cats.


These nuts are falling like crazy!  Every few minutes we hear a loud thump on the roof.


It's fall, and that means a fall mantle.


It still seemed a little plain, so I decided to make a pine cone garland.  We've got plenty of pine cones!  Making the garland is easy.  Just tie a bit of twine or string around the end of each cone...


...and then tie each of those ends around a long, central length of twine.


I'm hoping to find some bittersweet to wind around the string, too.  But it's fine for now!


Fall means another thing:  frequent shipments of yarn.


I've done quite a bit of knitting lately.  This long, twisted cable hat:


This fishy something-or-other is part of someone's Christmas:


This stranded snowflake hat, knit with a lovely blue variegated yarn:


I love the radiating pattern at the crown, too.


The hat, Snawheid, is a Kate Davies pattern.  She's a brilliant designer, I think.  I'm in the middle of another of her designs, but I've changed it up a bit.  I've taken her color chart and made it my own.


That's part of the fun of knitting, I think...customizing it.  She has very nice colors in her design, and many people have copied them directly.


But for me it's a bit too bright.  I preferred a more muted palette.


I'm pleased with the way it's turning out...so pleased that I think I'm going to make another one.  Because you're only using each color a bit, the 6 balls of yarn go a long way.  I've got plenty left for a second, and probably a third if I was so inclined...but I'll save the yarn for another project.  There are several waiting in the wings.

I hope you're having a nice fall so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment