Wednesday, November 20, 2013

love it or leaf it

Oh, you beauties!


As much as I love the fall/winter flower season here, it's a little sad to see our few summer perennials go down.  The bee balm is done...


...and the orange ginger lilies have wilted.


Insects have all but disappeared, leaving traces of webs and long-empty egg cases behind.


I love this season, though.  While those things are gone, I love seeing the camellia trees loaded with buds...


...and the berries on the bushes here turning a deep, rich red.


It's nice here on the pond.


The leaves are so beautiful!


Another nice thing about fall is that I'm really inspired to bake.  Last week I made hand pies, which are so easy to throw together.  I used my favorite all-butter pie crust recipe...


...and mixed 2 cups of frozen berries with a tablespoon of cornstarch, a pinch of salt, and 1/4 cup sugar.  I pulverized the mixture in our blender to make it easier to fit into the pies. 


I rolled out the dough and used a large biscuit cutter to get a uniform size.


I filled the dough circle with a heaping tablespoon of the fruit mixture.


I ran a clean, wet finger around one edge and folded the dough over.  I used a fork to neatly crimp the edges.


I usually don't, but decided to give the pies an egg wash to add some color.  It's as simple as scrambling an egg, adding a tablespoon of water, and brushing it over the dough.


I baked them at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  YUM.


I have to be careful - very careful - with sugar, because I'm such an addict.  One hand pie was only 150 calories, so I enjoyed a single pie and sent to rest to Todd's work to avoid temptation. 

Of course, speaking of temptation...this is the latest cookbook I'm going through.


Lord have mercy!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment