Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Freezin' Season

The hot air balloon festival happened last week, which marks one year in South Carolina for us.  I love watching all the different balloons drift over our house.


They come so close!


Our first freeze is supposed to happen tonight, so all of the outdoor potted plants need to be brought inside.


Thankfully, Todd and I finished our fall planting in time for the cold weather.  I'd ordered lots of live plants...


...and lots of bulbs.


Digging around outside, I saw a lot of interesting insects.  This pretty one is a a webworm moth, a rather destructive pest.


Here's a little millipede...


I found a chrysalis, too!


I'm not sure what type of butterfly resides inside, however.


A little snail...


...and a creature that looks like a very long pill bug.  I'm not quite sure what it is!


A leaf-mining insect made this pretty design on a leaf.


I spotted this webbed nest in one of our backyard trees.  I haven't seen any worms...


...but there's certainly evidence in the nearby leaves.


They might be tent caterpillars, but I'm not sure!

Todd found some beautiful fungus, too.


Look at those cool water droplets!


We've been trying to keep up with the leaves.


The roof is cleared off, at least!


Happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment