Tuesday, April 15, 2014

E-"vase"-ive Maneuvers

Last year, I carefully cultivated a huge patch of weeds.  The rest of the property had been so intentionally landscaped that I couldn't believe that the one really sunny area, edged in irises and bordered by shasta daisies and lantana, wouldn't be utilized.  I waited and watched while the 8' x 4' bed filled out with lovely green variegated seedlings.  They grew and grew, and by fall had become a hideously rangy, drooping mess.  There was no mistaking it:  these were weeds.   They returned with the first warm weather, filling in the tidy arc beyond the lawn.


They filled in so nicely and had such beautiful leaves that I had to ask myself:  were they REALLY weeds?


I just had to remind myself of their appearance last fall.  No doubt about it:  these were weeds.


It took me several days to weed the area, because the weeds, true to character, had a vast underground runner root system, which means that I will still need to plow it up and get every last bit or they'll sprout again.  I don't mind working there, though, because I like seeing all of the little scurrying things.

Little pillbugs, running for cover.


Little flying things, woken up from their naps.


Centipedes...

 
...and millipedes.


Even a little frog!


I love being outside in spring.  Last fall I planted six or seven peony bushes, and they're all coming up.


Sedum is starting to fill in the blank space around the rocks.


The air is filled with the buzzing of little wings. 


Bees love our flowers...


...and so do butterflies.


Our clematis vines are all starting to bloom.


I love their little clenched centers.


This .50 Goodwill vase is perfect for them.


 Of course, I have many...


...many...


...many...


...other vases in use.  I love the sheer variety of azaleas here, from tiny and pink...


...to sprawling and fuchsia.


It's nice to be outside amid the flowers, looking out over the water.


We've started eating our meals out on the sun porch again, just so we can catch the sun in the morning and listen to the tree frogs at night.  Bosewichte (our cat) heartily concurs with our decision.


Hope you have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment