Monday, April 25, 2016

Duck, Duck, GOSLINGS!!!

I've been peering across the pond, trying to keep an eye on our nesting goose...


...and I've finally been rewarded.  It's GOSLING TIME!!!!!  I've yet to get close enough for a good photo because the parents are very protective.  Here they are, across the pond...


...and I managed to get a quick shot this morning as they glided past our deck.


This group has a lucky number of seven goslings.  I just love watching them.  They grow so quickly!  I noticed that they're a little early.  Last year we didn't have goslings until the week of May 22nd. 

Speaking of birds, a really lovely red-tailed hawk landed in a tree outside my office window.  I fumbled for the camera and got two quick shots, one as he was turning to leave and one as he was taking off.  Still, his bright rust-colored tail feathers were on full display!


When we first moved to South Carolina, I quickly learned that many of the plants I had in our Indiana yard (columbines, lilacs, hydrangeas) didn't seem to do well here.  I just couldn't do without my peonies, though, and planted several.  Many were destroyed when our front trees came down, but four plants remained.  And, three years after planting,  ONE BUSH BLOOMED!  The flowers became very "blowsy" (as I call it) very quickly, not maintaining their original shape and drooping open after just a day or so.  Still, I really loved seeing them, even just for a few days.


Normally I take tons of photos over a typical weekend, but Todd and I have just been too busy.  The weather is perfect - no humidity, cool and in the 70s most of the day before climbing into the low 80s in the mid afternoon.  This is the time of year where we throw ourselves into yard work and last-minute house projects.  Todd is excavating our crawl space and building a concrete-walled room to create extra storage, and I've been doing the weeding/planting/pruning/staking yard maintenance work.  Our fence is up but not quite done yet, but Todd took some time out to make a second walkway.  The first was mainly for aesthetics, since our little tree right beside the path necessitated a pretty stooped walk to get past it.


I've mainly kept the camera next to me outside because I keep looking around and thinking, "Oh, it's so green!"  I don't know if it's the extra sun exposure that we have since cutting down those trees, but everything - the ferns, the liriope, the helleborus - is positively spreading and filling in everywhere.  I also hope that won't backfire on us in the heat of the summer, but I'm just going to enjoy it while I can.


I've got a few obligatory red geraniums on the porch, but haven't had time to do much else.


By June the yard will be in maintenance mode, the fence and spare room will be completed, and all the other little projects too.  We'll be able to spend evenings by the water, grilling out and playing board games.  I can't wait!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment