Monday, July 23, 2018

twig sprigs and whirligigs

Despite needing to finish some important work (taxes, etc.) at the apartment, we've gotten away for a few nice walks this past week.


Water, water everywhere!




One of our hiking locations has iron grid steps down into a gully.  Borga was not a fan and needed a little help!


The weather has been amazing - warm, but not very humid.  Perfect for hiking.  I've seen a lot of insects, which is nice.  Box elder bugs...


Japanese beetles, which are destructive, but still beautiful...


Bees...


Our old friend, the woolly aphid!


Bagworms, who carry their houses with them, like snails.  They're quite destructive, especially to evergreens.  Each one of these little houses, when created, can contain over 1,000 eggs!


I even saw some new-to-me insects, like this Beautiful Wood Nymph moth.  Aptly named, I think!


I called these "water-churn beetles" until I discovered their true identity, the Whirligig Beetle.



They have compound eyes, so that one set is above the water surface and one set is below.  They use this superior feature, plus a primitive 'radar' with water ripples, to evade predators and find prey.

We didn't hike for more than an hour or so at any one place, but these little jaunts are great for stretching our legs and flexing our amateur naturalist muscles.  I'm looking forward to more lengthy hikes soon!

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the short hikes and beautiful sunsets!


No comments:

Post a Comment