Wednesday, January 22, 2020

field of dreams

One of my New Year's resolutions was to become incredibly organized, and so far, I think it's going pretty well.  It's especially apparent in my crafting.  No more casting about for a project to work on, feeling overwhelmed by the options.  I now have a tidy list of ideas, just waiting to be brought to life.  If I'm sitting, my hands are busy,  I've just finished a poncho that I started over Christmas vacation.  I had several skeins of a very nice worsted-weight yarn (Shelter).  Not quite enough for a sweater, and I didn't want to make yet another hat.  A poncho seemed like a good idea.

I love how it knitted up, and new skill learned:  jogless stripes.


The neck can easily come up over the nose in cold weather, and the poncho itself is about halfway to the elbow, length-wise.  It's very warm and I'm pretty pleased to have finished it in 2 1/2 weeks, a real accomplishment for a slow knitter like me.


I've also started a  new pair of fingerless gloves, having noticed, when unpacking, that my supply has become pretty meager.

Upstairs, I've pulled out my stash of cheerful yellow scraps and fat quarters...


...and am trying to crank out one, maybe two log cabin squares per day.


When I have the space to work, I mean.  Sometimes my workspace is compromised.


It's a good time of year for textile work, because it's finally turned fairly cold.  Skies have been spitting snow, but with no real accumulation...


...but the ponds have stayed frozen.


Claudia was moved to the garage and kept warm with a space heater, while our inside cats...well...they do a pretty good job of conserving heat/energy.


This is my favorite time of year for paperwhites.  I start a new bulb every couple of weeks in any small container that I can find...egg cup, small vase, shallow tea cup.  It always works, and it's nice to see some green during this grey month.


We still have lots of colorful birds at the feeders...


...and poking around beneath, like this white-throated sparrow with a bright splash of yellow - one of my favorite winter colors - on his face.


Of course, this is my favorite face to see in the winter!  💘


We've started making plans for the front field...compost and plowing this spring, adding a small greenhouse or large potting shed, laying out paths, and flowers flowers flowers.  I've ordered my soil, vermiculite, and peat moss for winter sowing, but I sliced my finger pretty badly on a microplane zester yesterday and, having put off my tetanus booster yet again, have to wait for the cut to heal before plunging my hands into the dirt.  I'm hoping to start seeds by next week!

Here is the sun rising last week over the aforementioned field.  It's the view from my home office window and I'm so excited to fill it with flowers soon.


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment