Monday, January 18, 2021

sow 'n snow

 At last!


It's no more than an inch, but such a pleasure to see!


There's just something about snow.




The pastels of a January sky are so pretty above the white landscape.



I've been working in my new potting space, starting my big winter sowing project.  I'm about a third of the way done, I'd say.  It's enjoyable to have my hands in the dirt again, prepping my little containers...


...seeing all the different shapes and colors of seeds, those little pellets of potential.


This is A - G from my seed stash.


They need the freeze/thaw cycle to improve germination, so they don't mind this at all:


I've got good company while I work...


...and I love my view!


I try to put in an hour per day.  After all, in about 3 weeks I'll be starting some of the same seeds - and a lot of different ones! - under grow lights.  About the time I put those particular grow-light seedlings (hardy annuals) in the ground, it will be time to start the tender annuals under grow lights.  And then...oh boy...getting everything planted.  Planting will start around mid-March and continue through June.  Oh, and we also have to plow a new plot, lay out a drip tape irrigation system, lay down weed suppression/landscape fabric, and mulch...so while it seems odd to be starting in mid-January, there's not a minute to lose!  Thankfully it's all pleasurable work.  Going out to the barn last week, I passed by an unfamiliar green patch in the side garden.  At first I thought it was some sort of weed...


...but, studying it and thinking about what had been growing in that particular area last fall, I realized that it was German Chamomile.  I remembered the tiny white petals surrounding the cheerful yellow faces, the ferny foliage and the lovely light scent that was released whenever I brushed past, and experienced a moment of pure joy.


German Chamomile.  If all else fails, I will at least have the humble German Chamomile! What a delight to look forward to.  And then I think, what if some of the tulips and grape hyacinths that I fall-planted really do bloom?  Because my skills are so scattershot, I have almost no expectations when it comes to things that I plant.  When something does bloom, I am truly surprised and delighted.  So, as I see it, working on these containers is just another way of creating opportunities for joy.  All of my little failures, too, are disappointing, but I learn a little bit more with each disappointment.   I'm working toward something beautiful.  Maybe this will be the year that it all comes together!  If not, well, at least I've got that Chamomile.  :)  

Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment