Monday, June 13, 2022

assassin (bug)'s creed

 While kittens are sleeping peacefully inside...


...we've been working like crazy to get garden things done ahead of this historic heat wave.  As of Friday, I had twenty-two containers of seedlings that needed to be planted.  With my tendonitis and our hard clay soil, I just can't efficiently get the digging done...so I had to have help!



We have a little electric tiller, and thanks to the recent rain, Todd was able to get quite a bit of ground ready for me.  I crawled behind, digging and planting as quickly as I could.  After the containers were planted, I started to direct-seed the summer stuff:  celosia, zinnias, sunflowers, cosmos, etc.  I've never had much luck with direct seeding, but at this point, it was the only option.  If it works...it's going to be glorious!

I love the ground-level view of the garden.  A brown cricket watched me dig, bringing back childhood memories of hauling a wire cylinder full of crickets to the local fishing hole.


(spider warning!)

A parson spider fled before my trowel, dragging behind her egg sac.  It's hard to see here, but it's called a parson spider because the white strip on their abdomen resembles a priest's collar!


A shield bug supervised from a safe distance.


Of course, I love being eye level with the bupleurum and forget-me-nots...


...and oh, those poppies!





All self-seeded from last year.  Another surprise...I planted 'Ice Ballet' milkweed last year but no flowers...this year, it's finally blooming!



I love milkweed because it's a MAJOR insect attractor.  Bees, of course...


...but also grasshoppers (look how tiny...the size of one milkweed blossom!)...


...this battle-scarred soldier beetle...


...this swamp milkweed leaf beetle, hiding under a leaf...


...lots of milkweed bugs...


...and many others.  But let's face it...milkweed is a major Lover's Lane.




This last amorous pair?  Ambush bugs.  They crouch amid blossoms...


...and wait for prey.  I think they look like tiny mythical creatures!  Their bodies are jagged to help them blend into flowers better...assassin bug relatives, they pierce their prey and liquify the innards.  They have a pretty nasty bite for people, too, so best to give them a wide berth! 


I love seeking out unusual life in the garden and am so grateful to have the opportunity to draw them in.  I had almost given up hope of having a garden this year and have been absolutely astounded at what has come back on its own this year.



It's so easy to go out and grab flowers for bouquets, and especially gratifying, because I didn't plant any of this in 2022.  Cue the Hallelujah chorus!


Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment