Monday, June 6, 2022

you've got to mole with it, baby

 Some of my ranuculus have gorgeous blooms.


They're a lovely little lot spot of color in the garden...


...and a favorite in bouquets, paired with silvery artemisia.


Unfortunately, they're being assaulted from all sides.  As soon I had finished laboriously weeding, digging, and depositing seedlings in the side garden, I started to see this:


Moles.  Moles, drawn by the disturbed earth, decimated the area, raising big tunnels beneath the prepared earth, eating the delicate plant roots.  I don't want to poison them, so I'm stuck.  And attacks from above:



Deer don't eat coneflowers.  This was done by RABBITS...and we've got a lot of them here.  As tempting as it is to just throw up my hands and forget the whole thing, I've decided to just seed the space with sunflowers.  I'll use Liquid Fence (and Claudia) to try to keep the rabbits away, just until the seedlings are tall enough to to evade their grasp.  

Thankfully, I have many flowers that deer and rabbits aren't interested in...

golden loosestrife

yarrow

clematis

roses

phlox

foxgloves

If I don't have as many flowers this year, at least I'm fairly certain to have a nice amount of insects.  Gnat swarms are starting to form as individuals look for mates.  They're a swirling tornado of dots from a distance...


...but if you look closer, you can see the little bodies that make up the clusters.


These crane flies have already found their partners!


Syrphid flies are everywhere.  They are bee mimics...


...but don't sting.  They are true flies.  Aren't they beautiful?


A tiny praying mantis, less than two inches long, hunts for a meal amid the feathery leaves of the yarrow...


...and both dragonflies and damselflies hover constantly as I'm working.


The kittens, too, are constantly watching and learning...


...when they aren't playing...


...or sleeping.


Growing up is definitely hard work.

Have a great week!  







No comments:

Post a Comment