Monday, July 18, 2022

fancy jump and beetle, plump

In the heat of the summer, the blister beetles come out.  They're a bit rotund (for a beetle, anyway), with a lovely matte grey body.  One can easily picture a monocle on their cartoon version, right?


margined blister beetle

If bothered, they secrete a chemical called cantharidin, which causes skin to blister on contact (hence the name).  "Spanish fly" is made from the secretions of European blister beetles!  Like the Japanese beetles that infested my garden for a week and then disappeared, these guys aren't around for long.  They are a bit of a pest in the garden, but I enjoy them quite a bit!

Our heavy dews lately are evident on this brown damselfly.


Look at that crazy wing spread!


Damselflies are similar in many ways to dragonflies, including some pretty creative nicknames (bogdancers, devil's darning needles).  Some damselflies lay their eggs underwater, and the nymphs breath through gills in their abdomens.  Fascinating creatures!

I disturbed this green frog while working in the garden last week. They are nearly identical in appearance at this stage to bullfrogs, so the identification is a little shaky.


Days have been hot and dry but high humidity (rain, finally, yesterday).  Mornings are delightfully foggy.


Deer are beginning to feast on our fallen apples, and any garden leftovers too.



I still see Warren every...single...day.  Warren must have a warren, because Claudia finally brought us a little gift this week.


Our fields are teeming with rabbits, but I suppose that every single catch helps!

Inside, kittens are wild.  Kittens are crazy.  Kittens are insane.  Between relentlessly scratching the furniture, knocking over plants, jumping on tables and counters, using Calliope's small upstairs litter box instead of one of the three provided downstairs (upstairs warm and full of fabric/yarn that could easily retain scent), stealing and dragging my nicknacks all over the house, playing in the toilet, scratching up our windowsills, carpets, and rugs...sometimes I am thoroughly done with kittens by their 9 p.m. bedtime.  Then I stop, breathe, and resolve to just lay down more sticky tape the next day.  They're so sweet at naptime...




So darling...and I was even inspired to take in Cat Video Fest 2022 this weekend!


Still, those kittens...I'm exhausted at bedtime but recharged/excited to see them in the morning.  They're growing quickly and I keep telling myself...just a few more months before they start to settle into adulthood!   I love their friskiness but I have to admit to a certain longing for peace and quiet.

Maybe next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment