Monday, September 18, 2023

bats in the belfry

 It's harvest time!

We got a grand total of two watermelons from our vine, but at least they were tasty!  I'll plant more seeds next year.  

Cantaloupe were plentiful, but they all showed insect bore holes before they were ripe enough to pick.  Eh, I'll probably skip planting these again.  

The weather was perfect for harvesting the apple crop today!   



We got a grand total of 4.5 pounds...not even enough for a pie, once I cut out the bad spots.  But plenty for apple muffins, apple bread, apple baked oatmeal...the house smells amazing!  :)  And in October, I'll start with pumpkin.  I love fall!!  

I've also started harvesting a few sunflower heads.  I've laid them out on the dining room table to fully dry, which is an incredible temptation for kittens who are not allowed on said table.


Lots of interesting sights around the property.  Last week, I saw something fluttering around at dusk and knew instantly that it wasn't a bird.  When I was growing up, my great-grandma lived just down the street, with a small church right next door.  


I spent a lot of time in the field behind the church, and at dusk, bats would swoop out of the belfry.  I've always loved them. And now, here at our Indiana place...bats!!


Unfortunately, because of my chronic shoulder tendonitis, I just can't heft my heavy zoom lens, so I was forced to use a lightweight one that didn't zoom much...but I got enough detail to be able to identify this as an Eastern red bat!  They're pretty plentiful here, although their winter habits seem to be somewhat mysterious.  Some fly south, but since they can withstand temperatures in the low 20s, some hang around.   So great to see them!

Another exciting discovery...black tiger swallowtail caterpillars!  They go through a couple of stages and molts before pupating.  I posted the early stage, or instar, last week.


He's already molted into a bigger, bolder fellow.


Lots of deer, as usual.



This guy, of course.


So many familiar faces, but some losses too.  I've been so excited about our wood ducks, even as their numbers dwindled.  The last two hung around for a really long time...


...but as our nights have gotten colder, they've been around less and less.  They've likely headed south for warmer temperatures.  It's possible that they'll return here in the spring...fingers crossed.  

(spider warning!  skip next picture if you're spider-averse!)

And oh, my garden spider!  I've been so excited about her web, right beside the front porch.  I studied it (a double web, as an added layer of protection against predators) and was sometimes outside early enough to see her weave it fresh.  I cheered internally whenever I saw her skillfully bag up a dead insect for later consumption. I read up on her habits and kept an eye out for egg sacs (one garden spider can lay up to four sacs full of eggs!).  And, one morning, she was...dead.


Her big, protein-filled abdomen was completely eaten by some predator.  A bird?  A shrew?  A praying mantis?  There's no way to know, especially considering that whatever did it had a light enough touch to take the abdomen quickly and leave her suspended in her web.  I was surprised at how disappointed I was, and how much I looked forward to my daily web-check.  It's tough to get so easily attached to wild things.  Well, hopefully there will be another one next year.

Since the weather's been so nice, Todd and I have been out hiking more.  I love seeing late summer berries!

grey dogwood

pokeweed

winterberry

A heavy trim a few weeks ago has brought fresh flower growth, which the hummingbirds love.  Looks like they'll be sticking around a little while longer!


Cool nights and warm days are also perfect for kitten naps.


Everyone here is loving this weather.

Have a great week!  








No comments:

Post a Comment