Monday, June 3, 2024

mellow yellow

It's the yellow season in the garden!  I didn't mean to plant so much, but I think it's so cheerful and I just can't help myself. 



Our white poppies are about done...

...and now the red ones are starting.  All re-seeded from last year!



Although nothing from the annual garden is near blooming yet, I've been able to get plenty of flowers from the perennial garden.


An insane amount of daisies this year.  They've tripled their original number and just keep growing and spreading!


It reminds me so much of my favorite photo of great grandma Grace.


A busy time with the animals here.  I noticed Claudia wasn't eating, and that she had flecks of foam on her whiskers.  She let me check her mouth and I realized that she'd lost her incisors on the left side and couldn't masticate the hard kibble that she normally eats.  I pureed wet cat food for her until her mouth healed.  It was a strange week.  She occasionally leaves bird parts on our doorstep, but that week there was just one confused bird that she'd tried to gum...


...but only managed to pull out a few feathers.  She's all better now!

The choglets are eating and growing...



...and we've continued our snake streak with a THIRD black rat snake in as many weeks!  This one was in our storage barn.




He was a lot bigger than the first two! 

We've been seeing a lot of rabbits around, too.


And on these rabbits...


Yes, more ticks, and MORE ticks.


I even found a tick crawling on Frances yesterday, and he's a strictly indoor cat!  We are being very, very diligent about tick checks this year and so far only Todd has had a single tick attached.  Of course, he's been in their territory quite a bit lately.


We've both been outside lately because the weather has been wonderful, and continues to look promising in the forecast.  70s into the second week of June?  I'll take it!  So we're outside as much as possible, and when inside, our indoor animals keep us on our toes.

Here's Barnabas, who decided that a mere screen did not provide enough ventilation, and it cramped his stretch as well.  So, necessity is the mother of invention...


A new hole provides enough of both!  And Frances is responding in a similar way to his no-cats-on-the-table training.


Life is never boring around here.  Have a great week!  










No comments:

Post a Comment