Monday, April 23, 2018

cat lap fever

BABIES!


The house finch eggs hatched last week and the babies have been growing steadily.  They'll be on the nest for another 2 weeks.  Hard to believe that they'll be ready to fly away soon!

A goose is nesting down by the pond.


She rarely leaves the nest and when she does, stays close.


I don't hear any peeps yet.  The eggs are still nestled in piles of goose down.


We do have some "hatching out" this week.  The peonies have blossomed!




I think the centers look like sea anemones.


I've been spending a lot of time in the yard lately.  It's so green!


Sometimes I find an intrepid explorer in the hellebores.


Sometimes I find other things, too.  I have to be careful when weeding our stone walls.  I've found black widows and snakes here.  I can't forget my nemesis, the fire ant, either!  Even if you don't see a nest, you have almost invisible free-ranging scouts, very aggressive. 


This weekend I nearly grabbed a juvenile snake that I'm fairly certain was venomous.  His head was triangular, not like the gentle rounded slopes of the garter snake.  He seemed more aggressive, and I didn't lean in to get a look at his pupils.  Later, I was crawling through some bushes and shook this out of my hair later:


It's just another reason that here in the South, I prefer to do my gardening when Todd is home...just in case!

Inside, the cats have been doing the usual...



...and while I don't have a spare second for crafting right now, I did highly enjoy opening this package of cheerfully-colored fabric for a future scrap quilt:


I especially love the yellows.  I have all sorts of ideas for these bright fabrics I've been finding lately, but regretfully I folded them away for another day. 

Our big spring clean is nearly completed!  Only another week of work, and then we'll be able to slow down and move into 'maintenance mode.'  I look forward to long walks, board games by the pond, and cozy evenings knitting, with a cat on my lap, of course. 


Have a great week!






No comments:

Post a Comment