Sunday, June 30, 2019

hollows for swallows

The daily rain stopped and the sun finally came out.


The heat has been pretty unrelenting and has sapped my energy, but I have to keep moving.  Big changes here!  The back of our house (dining room and two covered porches) has been completely torn off. 




Everything that was in the dining room is now cluttering the kitchen and living room, and I'm forever wiping drywall dust from countertops and floors.  It's a cacophony of hammering, drilling, and banging doors all day long.  And it's not limited to the house...Todd and I spent hours pulling the tack room down in the barn this week.



We probably have another month of construction between the two spaces...phew!  At least we had some company in the barn.  A pair of nesting barn swallows watched us work.  Since the entire barn will be cleaned, insulated, and enclosed, I am sincerely hoping those babies have already hatched.  The nest would be nearly impossible to relocate. 



A black snake, too, has taken up residence.  They're great at keeping down the rodent population, but poor Todd!



Watching the birds at the feeders is a nice pleasure...



...and I still get a good scolding if I venture down to the pond.


It's worth it, though, to see what's going on there!




I'm very slowly getting my office put together.  At least my desk is up.  I get about 1/3 of the space...the cats seem to get the rest.



I keep a pair of binoculars next to my computer so I can see into the barnyard.  Just in the past week I've seen deer, wild rabbits, a woodchuck, and even a pair of turkeys!


The rain has been great for tracking wildlife in mud outside, too.


Mostly, though, I try to follow the cats' example and rest when I can.


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment