Monday, July 8, 2019

end-of-day silflay

Our first 4th of July in our new hometown and I felt very, very happy to see political/environmental activism well represented at the local parade!  The current "state of the union" has felt completely grim, repellent, abhorrent, and any other similar adjective can be inserted here...so it's really heart-warming to see like-minded people who are getting involved and making their voices heard.  I'm definitely looking into some of these groups after we get settled in. 







Now that the 4th is past, we've entered into that short stretch of the year that is probably the most uncomfortable for me.  Summer is my least favorite season, and July/August in Indiana is pretty tough.  It's been hot, dry, and humid for the past week.  But I'm taking a lot of pleasure in my new garden, which needs this kind of weather to thrive.  Considering that I started with what was basically a 10' x 60' blank canvas, the color is really popping right now!







The plants are really crammed in, but next spring I'll be able to spread them around and add in some nice annuals.  I can't wait to see what it looks like in a year!

The weather may be keeping us in, but we're still seeing a lot of wildlife.  Lots of rabbits coming out to "silflay" at dusk (I can't think of it in any other terms...any other lovers of Watership Down will understand!):



Wild turkeys...and their BABIES!...visiting the barnyard in the early morning (pic taken through a screen)...


...and, of course, the cacophony of birds at our feeders.


Frogs in the grass...


...and berries ripening along the fence!


These are our "dog days" of summer.


Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment