Monday, February 15, 2021

 Snow, beautiful snow!

The five inches of snow that we currently have is supposed to be doubled overnight.  Everything looks so cozy and nice under this lovely white blanket!


My office view shows the path we've trampled as we go to and from the barn every day.


On warmer day, huge otherworldly cracks appear in the back pond.


Even though the ice is thin, it's criss-crossed with tracks.



What made them?  Coyotes?  I've been seeing a big one in our barnyard recently.



Another mysterious snow track:  this low tunnel that snakes out of the wood and into our white barn!  Argh, we've got to get those trail cams installed!



At least I recognize this one...a little field mouse scampering over and then diving beneath the snow.


We're putting out extra food this week for the wild animals and, of course, the birds.  We've got an influx of blue jays...the trees are full of them!



The snow is great for pup frolicking, of course.  We've used cattle panels to seal off one of the back pasture areas that's only partially fenced.  Borga approves!


There's been a little less frolicking around here this week because on Monday, we lost our dear Bosewichte.


He was always by my side.  Climbing into my lap...


"Helping" me with sewing...


...or actively involved in intrepid exploring.


Mostly, though, his job was keeping an eye on me...from a distance...


...but he usually preferred a closer proximity.


We had a special relationship and it's been a very, very tough week.  


"I have sometimes thought of the final cause of [pets] having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a [pet] after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?  The misery of keeping a [pet] is his dying so soon.  But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?" - Sir Walter Scott

Bosewichte was my faithful companion for almost seventeen years and he'll never be forgotten.  Hug your little guys a little closer this week!




No comments:

Post a Comment