Monday, February 1, 2021

makin' tracks

Todd has said that Indiana winters are grey and cold, with few evergreens to give relief from the relentless drab.  After living in South Carolina for 6 years, I have to admit that he's right...mostly.  But sometimes, you get one of those brilliantly sunny winter days, and everything is made right again.

Deeply blue skies...


...crisp white snow.


I took a walk to the back pond...


It was completely skimmed over with ice.  Lovely!



I'm always looking for wild animal tracks.  We had about 2 inches of snow, but I still couldn't tell who left these behind:


Of course, Claudia took advantage of my tracks to make traversing the path easier.


Borga came out to play...


...and left her own tracks.  What's interesting to me is that you can often identify snow tracks by the "tail swishes" left behind, especially with foxes.  Borga left a few of her own!


She frequently gets "droopy tail" because she's not a huge fan of the snow.


But she'll go wherever Daddy wants to go!


After our one brilliantly sunny day, we've had a series of grey days with intermittent sleet and snow.


Thankfully, we've got a bit of life inside that brightens things up.  I always plant paperwhites in January.  They're beautiful while they're growing...


...and once they bloom...sigh!



I repotted my ferns, and they're unfurling new, tiny fronds...


Begonias are blooming...


...and even this pot-less geranium that's been in my freezing garage revived after a 12-hour soak in warm water.  It's sprouting little leaves everywhere!


The cats, of course, are unimpressed with much of anything in the winter and are mainly focused on getting plenty of sleep.



Sounds good to me.  Have a great week!  





No comments:

Post a Comment