Monday, February 8, 2021

go dig or go loam

In the spirit of "be careful what you wish for," our original forecast for next week showed twenty-inch snow accumulations!  Now that estimate has been about halved, but for someone who hasn't seen more than an inch in a decade, thirteen inches is a considerable amount.  And, as someone who doesn't have to drive in it, I'm delighted!  In preparation for our "polar vortex" (is that not the perfect title for a winter-season adventure movie?), I finished most of my winter sowing.

301.

Three hundred and one different flower varieties have been planted.  That includes different strains of flower within a type (for example, I've got 17 varieties of sweet peas), and I only planted a few seeds of each, but phew, the possibilities!  

Seed trading on Facebook has definitely opened up a whole new world.  As they say on every obnoxious reality baking show that I've ever seen, go big or go home.

I continue to spy new possibilities on forums that I peruse.  Ooohhh, pure black pansies!  White frilly poppies that look like peonies!  I send a message, I make the trade, and I prepare another plastic container.  Claudia watches me with bemusement while I work.  She doesn't understand why I'm not rolling in the sun while I've got the chance.


Not too much snow but considerable chill, so I've been working inside as much as I can.  After six weeks of experimentation, I've stumbled upon a knitting method that doesn't bother my right hand.  I've been working doggedly on this wrap, which is made up of dreaded ribbing - two knits, two purls, repeat. The monotony of it makes it the perfect project for working with various finger-positioning methods.  Believe it or not, this will double in width once it's blocked out!

Every few days, I'll sew together another quilt square.  Since the pieces are pre-cut, each square takes about 15 minutes to sew.


Between my regular work and various distractions, I haven't spent too much time on it, but I'm setting a goal of 3 squares per week so that I can make some real progress this month.  

I'm looking forward to spring, but I'm not yet burned out on winter.  I love the gorgeous sunrises over the snow-covered field every morning.
 

I love finding new animal tracks on my daily walk to the barn.



I love watching birds crowd around the feeders, or rest on the branches of our maple tree.


I love seeing my beloved plants in their "winter interest" phase!


The cats (ahem) keep me company while I work, which makes for a warm and cozy day.


It will be interesting to see how much snow really rolls in during this weather system.  We'll be curled up inside, no matter what.

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant:  if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."  - Anne Bradstreet

Have a great week!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment