Monday, April 18, 2022

testing my nettle

A double holiday!  Todd's birthday and Easter, back to back.  I decided to have an "Easter After Dark" egg hunt with glow-in-the-dark eggs.

Inspired by glorious egg hunts of days past...

...I used plastic eggs with tiny glow sticks inside, as well as a folded-up joke.  The prize for finding all eggs?  Easter candy, of course!  I also made a small coconut cake with a lemon curd layer for earlier in the day.  Todd's birthday needed a special cake, too.  I used a photo from an old Star Wars gathering and had an edible icing sheet made.  Just perfect!


It's really brightening up outside.  Redbuds are just getting ready to open up.



Our maple is finally leafing out...


...and the apple tree is showing promise.  Not long now!


Hostas are unfurling...


All bulbs are awakening.  Daffodils have been up for a couple of weeks...


...but now we have hyacinths...


...and one of my favorites, grape muscari.


Everywhere I've ever lived, I've planted these cheerful little bells.


Claudia is loving our cool, sunny afternoons.


She loves to come down to the pond with us when we take a stroll.


Borga, too, is sniffing the wind.  Spring is here!


Finally (almost) free of invasive weeds, the fields are starting to fill up with dead nettle.  It's a beautiful little wildflower whose green leaves slowly darken to purple at its tip.  The flowers are like tiny orchids.



En masse, they are beautiful!


My little winter sow greenhouses are slowly filling with green.


I'm not sure how the garden will be this year, though.  Between my sore elbow and shoulder, and busy prep for a work convention in May, it's just going to be really tough to weed, augment the soil, pot up the seedlings, and then get them planted and nurtured until they take off.  I might let one whole plot go to grass and just focus on a smaller area.  I'll at least have several of my favorites, somewhere.

Have a great week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment