Monday, August 1, 2022

molt jolt

It's easy to recognize the slow drift into autumn, even if you ignore the temperature cues.  Dahlias are really popping now!

Birds are rushing through their final brood of the season.

Carolina wren feeding fledglings

A praying mantis goes through 7 or so molts before maturity.  They're moving smoothly through the process now in order to mature and mate in time for a fall egg-laying!  I was really lucky to spot this leftover molt...a lot of times, the mantis or other insects will eat it.


Goldfinches are making their early fall appearance!  I grabbed a quick shot with my junky camera:


Even if I hadn't seen them, I've heard their incessant singing, and they definitely leave behind evidence.


Lots of butterflies...



Hummingbirds...



...and insects.  These are twice-stabbed stinkbugs, so named for the two red dots on their back (evidence of a double stabbing, apparently!).  


This plant hopper is patiently waiting for me to move along.


Sweat bees crowd for nectar.


This tachinid fly is most welcome.  It's parasitic and will lay its eggs on a host...mostly harmful caterpillars and beetles.


Check out this huge gathering of juvenile barn swallows on the telephone line in our barnyard!


I love it when my hydrangea blooms.


Beautiful sunrises...


...lazy kittens...




...and late season flowers...


There's a lot to love about these last days of summer.  Have a great week!  


No comments:

Post a Comment