Monday, March 26, 2018

pollen fallin'

A red-tailed hawk has been spending a lot of time in our backyard lately.


I'm usually alerted to his presence by the cawing of crows.  A group of crows can 'mob' a hawk in a pre-emptive strike, and it's interesting to watch them gather on branches around the hawk and engage in intimidating swooping.  I wonder if this is the same hawk that spent so much time around here last year.  Check out that red tail!  

 

Hawks are doing slow circles in the sky every day.  They  make beautiful silhouettes.



The birds are definitely out lately.  When I go outside in the morning to feed the strays, it's usually still dark.  But there's a cacophony of sound from the birds.  I do my best to identify calls.  I love hearing one of my favorites, the house finch.  They're such cheerful little birds, and now they're everywhere, preparing nests! 

It's a bittersweet time of year, because the camellias are finished.  Oh, I can still get a few from the bushes, but they're limp within a day or so.  The azaleas are popping out, at least!



Even my favorite azalea is opening up.


The usual bouquets...they make me happy.



A brief period of pollen...


...and more signs of spring.  New fern fronds unfurling in our backyard...


...and woodland flowers in the woods.


Sweet Clotilde sleeps on our back stairs, watching it all happen!


Meanwhile, I have done little knitting and no sewing.  Just so busy.  But I did take some time out to bake a cake when we had company recently.  I used to bake layer cakes, but we'd always have so much leftover cake.  Now my go-to is the simple chocolate loaf cake from Smitten Kitchen.  It doesn't need any embellishment, but sometimes I whip up a little sour cream chocolate frosting.


Absolutely perfect...and nearly no leftovers!  :)

Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment